It's easy to recognize a well-designed space. A well-thought-out plan is key to a successful design. Here are my top eight recommendations to help you plan a remarkable living room space for your home.
1. Begin with a furniture plan. Lay out your furniture to allow for traffic flow and for the number of seats required for family and guests.
2. Select a color scheme. Look for inspiration in magazines or online to get a sense of your color preferences. This information will help you to gain insight on colors your drawn to. Looking at the clothes in your closet is a good place to look for inspiration.
3. Decide on upholstered furniture styles you like and how you want your pieces to function. Are you contemporary, traditional, or transitional? Research things you like online and collect photos to use as a guide for shopping.
4. Look for stylish and durable tables that fit your lifestyle, such as accent tables, coffee tables, end tables, stacking tables, and other hard surfaces. Find pieces that are functional, provide storage, and are interesting.
5. Consider adding an area rug to set the tone for your space. If your furniture is mostly solid, an area rug will add some interest. It will also provide you with colors to work with.
6. Look for opportunities in the space to create a focal point for the room. Are there large windows overlooking a scenic backyard? Your focal point should make a statement and draw attention to itself. When it doesn't, you can look for creative ways to create one.
7. Get creative with lighting. Use lighting to highlight artwork and as jewelry for your home. You can find unique design elements in all types of lighting found in lamps, chandeliers, and sconces.
8. What about the architecture of your space? Can you add molding or trim to walls or ceilings?
If you need help addressing any of these suggestions, I can help you find solutions to fit your lifestyle. Have questions? Give us a call! We are always happy to help.
New fabric sample books have just arrived at my studio. I couldn’t help but notice this pretty spring color palette of blush, green, and cream. It caught my eye and I just had to take a closer look.
I love working with fabrics to help clients freshen their spaces. I imagine this palette on furniture and for window treatments. I often begin a project with a pattern or a texture that my clients fall in love with to use as a springboard to begin the design process.
Starting with the print fabric in the middle of the photo, just for fun, I pulled together this grouping.
First, I imagine using Sherwin Williams SW6422 Shagreen (third paint chip down from the top) on the walls, as the perfect backdrop to complement all these colors.
Then, I envision off-white, embroidered draperies (far right) on decorative hardware to frame a window that looks out to a beautiful backyard.
Now picture this!
With an extensive fabric library at my fingertips, and extensive resources for fine furniture, fabrics, area rugs, and accessories, I can help you personalize your living space to reflect you and your lifestyle. My process always begins with something you fall in love with. You are my inspiration!
Happy spring decorating!
Interior Designer, Allied ASID
#Interior Design, #Interior Decorating